Stingray
 Matrix Tv Series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HernesSon Offline

United Kingdom
789 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  21:50:58  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
After "Stingray" Nick Mancuso did another short lived, cult tv show called "Matrix." It bears no relation to the later movies starring Keanu Reeves btw but (rather confusingly,) did star Carrie-Anne Moss! What also didn't help was it re-airing around the time the film came out.

Not available on dvd, you can find copies on places like IOffer. I have just ordered a set. I've been looking for tit-bits of information about this show and plan to post what I find here for those interested.

One thing that first jumps out is that Steven drives a black 1992 corvette convertible. Perhaps Mancuso liked the corvette enough to insist that he got to drive another?

Matrix, unlike most other super-heroes has no powers, just the skills of an elite hit man. He's a superb shot and a better than average detective. He also has a helper in the form of Billy Hicks, who has a phenomenal ability to research any subject and come up with anything that anyone could conceivably find out about it. When Matrix gets in over his head, Hicks has a habit of suddenly appearing to provide him with a quick getaway in Billy's car.

However, someone who encounters him may justifiably suspect Matrix of being psychic, since he has an uncanny way of knowing things about what people have done, are doing, or might do. However, this knowledge comes entirely from the City which is virtually omniscient concerning events on Earth, but doles out the information to Matrix sparingly.

Steven Matrix was a hitman until the day that someone came after him. She put a bullet in his brain and during his near-death experience he found himself spiritually transported into the City In Between, a limbo for people who don't quite qualify for Heaven or Hell.

In actuality, Matrix was amply qualified for Hell, but the inhabitants of the City had decided to intervene, offer him a second chance at life and redemption, and through him work their own ways out of purgatory. Having been shown the alternative, Matrix accepted. Restored to life in the hospital, Matrix returned to the legitimate side of his life as a businessman, suffering regular interruptions as his new employers would suddenly grab him into their dimension, to give him assignments, each in their own eccentric way.

It is possible that there IS no City In Between, that it is all a delusion that Matrix is experiencing as a result of his guilt and brain trauma.

His assignments have included:

Keeping a woman from claiming her father killed her mother after a "suppressed memory" emerged that was actually implanted by someone out to get him.
Keeping a mob thug from murdering a little girl who was a witness against his boss.
Keeping a senior citizen from murdering the con-artist who stole his retirement fund.
Persuading a husband not to go along with his mistress's plan to murder his wife.
Disentangling Billy Hicks from an old girlfriend who planned to frame him for murder.
Persuading a famous diplomatic intermediary who has lost his nerve to overcome his fear and get back in the game.
Often Matrix falls into the mistake of assuming that his primary role is to save the victim, since there is usually a murder plot. However the City In Between cares more about saving people from [filtered out]ing themselves than it does about whether innocent victims die.
Description:
Matrix is played by the actor, Nick Mancuso. As Matrix, Mancuso dresses expensively and tastefully with a fondness for long coats.

Matrix is basically a cold fish. He goes about the task of saving someone's soul with the same detached, methodical, but somehow intense demeanor that he used to use for his contract killings. His motives and methods are often incomprehensible. He'll suddenly appear in your life, investigating you, knowing things about you that nobody could know, turn you aside from a foolish and self destructive course, then leave without revealing why, or even if, he cared.

- "I dont even know what to call you"
- "Call me Ray"
- "Ah, Short for Stingray"
- "No, Short For Raymond

Edited by - HernesSon on 05/27/2008 21:57:39

HernesSon Offline

United Kingdom
789 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  23:54:18  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few selected screencaps from the pilot episode...

Title caption

The Ocean of Fire/City Inbetween

Carrie-Anne Moss

- "Call me Ray"
- "No, Short For Raymond

Edited by - HernesSon on 06/04/2008 23:57:30
Go to Top of Page

Ducati Offline

Zaire
621 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  19:04:59  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now those bring back some memories!
What do you think of it so far?
Go to Top of Page

HernesSon Offline

United Kingdom
789 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  20:20:56  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've at last had time to watch about 7 episodes so far. It is growing on me. Steven Matrix at first is cold and distant. I wasn't sure I liked him, but then as the series progressed you started seeing more Mancuso traits and life in the character.
Carrie Ann Moss has very little to do. Seems she's just the eye candy, and only helps to occasionally lift a telephone and be the female link in what might otherwise be a slightly downbeat show.

The title sequence/theme is not as you might expect. I don't like whiney saxaphones or tinkly pianos at the best of times, but for a show like this I thought it would deserve a better score. It's very Nineties.
Though Matrix is nothing to do with the later Keanu Reeves films, it does contain elements of it and possibly, of Quantum Leap.

Here's a link to the opening titles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhVv2JTsaDI

With a few more episodes to go, it's s series I am at last getting more into, but it's not Stingray. Even if Matrix has some similiarities with Ray. He has a more modern black Stingray convertible. It's VERY cool!

- "Call me Ray"
- "No, Short For Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Ducati Offline

Zaire
621 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  03:11:47  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://matrixtv.tripod.com/

Quite a cool little site I came accross.

I think the Matrix intro is fantastic actually, both the theme and the selection of clips used.

quote:
He has a more modern black Stingray convertible. It's VERY cool!

It isn't a Stingray. There is no such thing as a Corvette Stingray apart from the C2 & Select C3's. Matrix's 'Vette is a restyled C4.

Chavalier Stingray you meant maybe?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
= Offline, = Away, = Online
tv-series.com © 1994-2010 tv-series.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000